Journalist and columnist in the IT field. Website creator and administrator.
Ask an expert
I set up a connection between my PC and laptop (both running Windows 10) through TeamViewer. Tell me how to turn on a remote computer, is it possible?
Waking up a remote PC from sleep mode is possible if its network card supports Wake-on-LAN technology. You also need to make changes to the default TeamViewer settings.
First, let’s look at how to enable the Wake on LAN option on the remote computer:
- Press Win + X. When the menu appears, go to the “Device Manager” tab, then open the “Network Adapters” list.
- Find an Ethernet adapter, right-click on it and select “Properties”.
- In “Properties” open the “Power Management” tab and tick the “Allow this device to wake the computer” box.
Now you need to configure TeamViewer to autostart when Windows boots. For this:
- Launch TeamViewer on the remote computer, and open the menu.
- Go to “Extras” – “Options” – “General” and check the “Start TeamViewer with Windows” box.
- Then click “Configure” next to “Wake-on-LAN”.
- Enter the ID of the partner who is allowed to wake up the remote computer over the network.Click the Add button, then click OK.
This completes the setup. Now, every time the partner initiates a connection, the remote computer will automatically wake up from sleep mode.