Remote access programs are used to manage physically inaccessible PCs and smartphones. With the help of such utilities from a local computer, you can issue commands to a device that is located in another building, city, or country. Connection to the screen of a physically inaccessible machine is carried out via the Internet or a local network, encrypted channels are used for data transmission. Almost all programs for remote access to a computer have flexible settings. Users can work in the modes of demonstration, management and file sharing. Some utilities have tools for online meetings.
Remote phone access
Now the world market has two dominant mobile platforms – Android and iOS. Gadget users with these operating systems can download programs for remote access to a computer from their phone from the AppStore and Play Store. Almost all mobile applications of this type are complements to desktop programs and have a truncated set of features and capabilities. The main features of mobile applications:
- Low speed. On smartphones, hotkeys are not available, and some folders take longer to navigate than on a computer with a physical keyboard.
- Poor display quality. The broadcast window usually occupies ½ of the screen, with a virtual keyboard below. It is difficult for people with poor eyesight to see small icons and letters.
- Risk of theft of confidential information. If your phone is lost or stolen, an attacker can gain access to a remote computer. Mobile devices are more vulnerable to hacker attacks than PCs.
Despite some shortcomings, the popularity of mobile applications is growing. Remote control programs for smartphones are valued for their availability. The owner of the phone can connect to a remote device while indoors, outdoors, on a trip. If you have an internet connection, you can set up a connection from anywhere in the world.
Remote access to a computer
Computer programs for remote access are portable and require installation. Some are designed exclusively for PCs, while others can be used when connected to stationary devices, laptops and smartphones. Features of computer applications for remote desktop connection:
- High quality display. On modern PCs with a large amount of RAM and a powerful graphics card, you can run multiple connections at the same time, play games remotely. Errors in the display of graphical elements are rare.
- Reliable data protection. In the operating system firewall settings, you can block unwanted connections or create an exclusion list for trusted users.
- Work control. The PC remote access programs have a connection log. It displays the addresses of client devices, connection start time and session duration. Information from the log can be used to evaluate the work of employees.
Desktop programs with flexible settings are recommended for users of corporate networks. Such utilities can be used to support clients, advise colleagues, and monitor the actions of employees.
The Best Remote Access Programs
Bugs in remote access programs can lead to the theft of confidential information and property damage. If you store important data on your computer, choose utilities that have been on the market for a long time, tested by millions of users and have a positive reputation.
For many years in a row, TeamViewer, AnyDesk and Ammyy Admin have taken the first places in the ranking of remote control software.
The TeamViewer program was developed by the German company TeamViewer GmbH. The premiere took place in 2005, the utility has several versions for popular operating systems. Through the program, you can manage a remote desktop in Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, iOS. Team Viewer Features:
- multilingual interface,
- work in the modes of observation, management and file exchange,
- video conferencing using the TeamViewer Meeting tool,
- support of VPN technology,
- possibility of integration with Microsoft Outlook manager,
- ability to install client modules (company logo, welcome message).
TeamViewer has a free version for home use and three paid versions: Business, Premium and Enterprise. The free program is intended for one-time assistance to relatives or friends. If the user connects to different machines frequently, a message will appear on the display to purchase a license, and the connection will automatically terminate every 5 minutes. In paid versions of TeamViewer, you can create from 200 to 500 connections and up to 3 sessions at the same time (the number depends on the type of license).
The German company AnyDesk Software GmbH has been producing software for remote support and administration since 2014. The range of the company includes products for devices running Windows, Linux, macOS, iOS, Android, FreeBSD, Raspberry Pi operating systems. Features of the AnyDesk program:
- work in administration and screen sharing modes,
- data transfer via TLS 1.2 protocol and transport layer encryption,
- the ability to wake up a remote PC using Wake on LAN technology,
- high image transmission rate (frame rate up to 60 Hz),
- small size, the installed program on a PC takes only 3 MB.
AnyDesk has a 14-day trial version. For unlimited connection to one device, you need to purchase the Essentials edition. When you purchase a Performance license, you can set up remote access to 3,000 machines. When choosing an Enterprise license, the number of connections is not limited.
The Ammyy Admin program entered the market in 2007. The developer is the Russian company Ammyy Group. The utility allows you to establish a connection between computers running Windows XP and higher. Users can set up remote access via the Internet and local network. Features of the Ammyy Admin program:
- does not require installation, ready to work immediately after downloading,
- supports English and 17 other languages,
- works in screen sharing and administration modes,
- during the session, you can enable and disable the built-in voice chat,
- supplemented with tools for online presentations, distance learning,
- allows you to exchange data through the built-in file manager (maximum document size – 140 TB).
Ammyy Admin has a Free trial version, it can run no more than 1 session. If the total duration of Internet connections exceeds 30 hours per month, access to the remote PC will be blocked. The program’s capabilities can be expanded by purchasing a Starter, Premium or Corporate license. When connecting via IP and HostName (without Internet access), there are no restrictions on the duration of sessions in all versions.